Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2024, 05:36 AM
Apollo Nut

Media teleconference with NASA and Boeing leadership at 2pm this afternoon concerning Starliner return date. Maybe we will be able to learn additional insights from that.

Link: https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/n...station-update/

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-28-2024, 11:12 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Both stages were "hot" on the CFT mission - so our reserves at MECO were greater than expected.

Getting better ISP than expected is usually a good thing, but unless they purposely calculated conservatively, someone down the line might not be too happy about the math.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:37 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Getting better ISP than expected is usually a good thing, but unless they purposely calculated conservatively, someone down the line might not be too happy about the math.

Not sure I follow what you're saying - but OK.

Having flight performance reserves is part of the game. No engine has exactly the same performance two times in a row, and all rockets are impacted by variables like ambient pressure. Prudent, but not excessive, conservatism is the way to go!
Old 06-28-2024, 07:56 PM
Apollo Nut

Here is a link to a summary post about the media teleconference that was held this afternoon about Starliner return date.

Link: https://blogs.nasa.gov/boeing-crew-flight-test/

While they continue to say that Starliner is available for emergency return should that be required, the following line (from the above article) would seem to indicate that they really aren?t completely totally sure of said ability to return the crew safely, until, maybe at such time after additional testing can verify that ability.

Quote: ?Our goal is to bring Butch and Suni home aboard Boeing?s spacecraft, and we are working to confirm Starliner will perform as designed to return them safely to Earth,? said Ken Bowersox, associate administrator, NASA?s Space Operations Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters in Washington. ?Space station gives us the luxury of time, allowing us to look at data we gathered on the way uphill and conduct some additional testing. We?re still in the middle of a test mission, and we want to spend more time with the data before we make the final call to put the crew aboard the spacecraft for return.?

So, I am not sure whether they really are just collecting more data to be able to study perfmance of components that will not survive reentry (service module stuff) OR whether there are real questions about whether thrusters (or maybe other components) will perform sufficiently to return the crew/capsule safely to earth.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-29-2024, 10:05 AM
Master Modeler

Just think, Starliner whose first manned flight was supposed to be in 2017 and is intended only to supply the ISS white elephant may be ready just in time to supply something that will no longer exist.

NASA will pay SpaceX nearly $1 billion to deorbit the International Space Station
The space agency did consider alternatives to splashing the station.
6/27/2024

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/...-space-station/

NASA has awarded an $843 million contract to SpaceX to develop a "US Deorbit Vehicle." This spacecraft will dock to the International Space Station in 2029 and then ensure the large facility makes a controlled reentry through Earth's atmosphere before splashing into the ocean in 2030.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Not sure I follow what you're saying - but OK.

Having flight performance reserves is part of the game. No engine has exactly the same performance two times in a row, and all rockets are impacted by variables like ambient pressure. Prudent, but not excessive, conservatism is the way to go!

My point is that normally we think greater efficiency always as a good thing. But some folks don't like being off on their math models and predictions, even on the high side of efficiency. I'm glad they got better performance than expected, but there is a Sheldon somewhere down the line that is upset that he didn't hit it right on the nose. lol
Old 06-30-2024, 10:30 PM
I do not like Facebook

Leftover unspent propellant, unless used to recover the booster, means leaving payload capacity on the table. Booster recovery inherently is not as predictable, so a larger reserve is warranted.

It may be time to paraphrase the Klingon Korax: I didn't mean to say that the Starliner should be hauling garbage. I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS garbage!

Maybe a rescue Dragon should be sent to bring the crew home and the Starliner left in orbit to be returned by Starship when it becomes operational?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-01-2024, 09:51 AM
I do not like Facebook

Default Fair or unfair *** you be the judge ***

Technical failures leave Starliner crew 'not stranded' on ISS indefinitely

https://newatlas.com/space/starline...s-stranded-iss/

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-01-2024, 02:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Technical failures leave Starliner crew 'not stranded' on ISS indefinitely

I instantly thought of the classic "mostly peaceful protests" and "white-hispanic" media spins when I saw that headline!

I know none of it is a laughing matter, but I can't help myself.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:58 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

"Not Stranded " my sweet aunt.
Thing is a BAD JOKE.
It SHOULD be hauled off as GARBAGE !
They need to rename it the "Turd Burd".

Repairs are being performed by the Hoopty-Fixx, Inc. division of NuisanceCo.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !