Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2024, 01:34 AM
I do not like Facebook

Blue Origin targets mid-October for New Glenn?s inaugural flight and launch of NASA?s Escapade Mars mission

https://www.engadget.com/science/sp...-224611923.html

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-28-2024, 08:41 AM
I do not like Facebook

Blue Origin New Glenn Launch Date Confirmed?Here?s What to Expect For Debut Flight

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...what-expect.htm

Quote:
However, this announcement came mere days after a recent incident during its testing, with the New Glenn suffering from damages. That being said, Bloomberg also shared that these hardware were meant for its second and third flights.

Blue Origin then confirmed that this does not affect the first official mission of the New Glenn rocket that is coming this fall, marking its debut after almost three years of delays.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-28-2024, 10:45 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Is it just me, or do others lack any feeling of interest or excitement regarding Blue Origin? To me it always seems like it is too little, too late. Like Bezos is jealous of Elon and is trying to be more than just a guy whose company sells BOATLOADS of everything to everybody? (Including our household. We try to limit our orders to once a week, or at least only twice a week.)
:-)

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B
In the Paint Shop:
Launch-Ready:KFD Mini Satellite Interceptor
Old 08-28-2024, 05:53 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Is it just me, or do others lack any feeling of interest or excitement regarding Blue Origin? To me it always seems like it is too little, too late. Like Bezos is jealous of Elon and is trying to be more than just a guy whose company sells BOATLOADS of everything to everybody? (Including our household. We try to limit our orders to once a week, or at least only twice a week.)
:-)

I do not want any one company to have a monopoly in launch vehicles.

SpaceX is mostly doing the right things.

I believe ULA's days are numbered. Unlike many of their competitors, they are not emphasizing reusable vehicles, so they will always cost more.

I have said this before - I am rooting for New Glenn for a stupid reason - it is an interesting prototype to model. I am not a fan of Bezos or Amazon; I blame him more than Walmart for killing off mom and pop brick and mortar stores.

SpaceX started StarLink. China is now attempting to do the same thing. Do we really need Bezos to do it too?

Bill

Old 08-28-2024, 09:40 PM
Craftsman

I am hopeful (but not optimistic) that Sierra Space will be able to purchase ULA. That would give them a complete launch system for their Dream Chaser. Still wish that would have gotten the second commercial crew contract instead of Boeing.
Old 08-29-2024, 12:57 AM
I do not like Facebook

If Sierra Space acquires ULA and Blue Origin buys what is left of Starliner to bootstrap their manned space transportation offering, we can have a lively three-way competition...

Thee problem is that ULA is dependent on Blue Origin for BE-4 engines. If they can modify the Vulcan design to be able to use either BE-4 or Raptor, then we may have something.

Bill

Old 09-02-2024, 05:30 PM
I do not like Facebook

The New Glenn rocket?s second stage set to roll to the launch pad on Monday

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/...of-launch-prep/

Bill

Old 09-02-2024, 05:50 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

We need a quality FUBAR for entertainment value.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !
Old 09-07-2024, 06:14 AM
I do not like Facebook

NASA delays ESCAPADE Mars launch on Blue Origin's giant New Glenn rocket to 2025 to avoid potential cost overruns

https://www.space.com/nasa-delays-e...enn-rocket-2025

Quote:
NASA and Blue Origin are discussing new liftoff dates for ESCAPADE, with the earliest possible option now falling in spring of 2025, according to the update. That seems puzzlingly soon, given that launch windows for Mars missions come along just once every 26 months. (That's the interval on which Earth and the Red Planet align to allow efficient deep-space travel.)

Blue Origin doesn't plan to wait that long to get New Glenn off the ground, however.

"We plan to move up New Glenn's second flight, originally scheduled for December, into November. New Glenn will carry Blue Ring technology and mark our first National Security Space Launch certification flight. We'll provide more details on these launch plans in the coming weeks," Blue Origin, which is run by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, said in an X post today.

Bill

Old 09-07-2024, 07:51 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Austin
Still wish that would have gotten the second commercial crew contract instead of Boeing.

If Sierra Space had gotten the second contract, SpaceX would have been out and where would we be today?

Would Dream Chaser have become operational around the same time as Dragon had they gotten the contract?

Bill