Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Exclamation Cluster: 3 to 7!

Hi,
I wondering if you have a recommendation for igniters in the clusters? I have used the Go Box (Prat) controller and a whip clip with the Estes motors and igniters. some times this works and some times not! I have a (Semroc) Hydra 7 and I want a successful flight with 7 motors! Did a test with a single C6 and was fine now I want to load it up! Are there better igniters then the estes?
Also have a Defender with 3 motor cluster and a Big Daddy that I adapted to take 4 E6 Motors!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanewf
Hi,
I wondering if you have a recommendation for igniters in the clusters? I have used the Go Box (Prat) controller and a whip clip with the Estes motors and igniters. some times this works and some times not! I have a (Semroc) Hydra 7 and I want a successful flight with 7 motors! Did a test with a single C6 and was fine now I want to load it up! Are there better igniters then the estes?
Also have a Defender with 3 motor cluster and a Big Daddy that I adapted to take 4 E6 Motors!
The newest widget well-suited for this is the Quest Q2G2 low current ignitors. I have some, but haven't flown them them yet, so I can't relate first-hand. But others can share their experiences. About the only weakness I've read of with them is getting them to stay in place. Some folks have had them slip out of position resulting in some unlit motors. So apparently some extra attention is required to keep them plugged in place.

Because they're low current, they light very easily without need of a hefty launch controller thus making them well suited for clustering.

That said, I've ignited many clusters using Estes ignitors along with a robust launch system. A relayer works well, but even an ordinary Estes type controller will work given a good battery (12V gel cell, for example), ~18 gauge wire and clean clips.

You mention using a whip clip. Those are problematic, and most folks who've used them more than a few times tend to avoid them. In my experience, they tend to become partially disconnected, and they tend to short together. When there are 10+ alligator clips all arranged in the same 8 square inch area, the chances of a short are pretty good.

So, instead of clips whips, I prefer lead extensions. Here, in this pic, I've used some 26 gauge telephone wire and soldered it to the ignitor leads, then wrapped some masking tape over the connections.

In making these, one trick is to clamp the lgnitor leads with forceps before bending the tips. That way, any twisting applied to the wires does not transfer to the other end of the ignitor and cause the bridgewire to get broken.

With this setup, I just twist the extended leads together, then connect the one set of clips from the launch controller. This works very well, and you don't have to worry about forgetting your clip whip at the pad.

Here's a 9-motor cluster lit using this setup. Doug .

YORF member #11
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Thanks

Now that makes more sense then a whip!

I will give that a try at the next launch date and hopefully will post an awesome video!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default soldered question?

I have not soldered the igniters before. Is the heat a proplem? Or is it only ignited by electric current?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanewf
I have not soldered the igniters before. Is the heat a proplem? Or is it only ignited by electric current?
It should not be a problem. It only takes a few seconds to flow the solder and make a good connection. It would take many seconds of heating before the tip of the ignitor got hot enough to go up. But that would also require a massively hot soldering iron, not your typical 25-40 watt unit. Even then, with the entire length of the ignitor exposed to ambient temp, I doubt you get ever get it hot enough on one end to ignite the pyrogen on the other end.

In short, it's not a problem.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
It should not be a problem. It only takes a few seconds to flow the solder and make a good connection. It would take many seconds of heating before the tip of the ignitor got hot enough to go up. But that would also require a massively hot soldering iron, not your typical 25-40 watt unit. Even then, with the entire length of the ignitor exposed to ambient temp, I doubt you get ever get it hot enough on one end to ignite the pyrogen on the other end.

In short, it's not a problem.

To be safe, put an alligator clip between the solder joint and the pyrogen tip to dissipate any excess heat.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Quest Ignighters?

Would it work to attach the leads on the 8 inch Quest ingniters? I just saw these on the quest site and thought that they might be more reliable then making the extensions myself?
http://www.questaerospace.com/itemd...ic=7025&eq=&Tp=

http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Q2G2-Mo...s/dp/B0047FSL6E (better price)