Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Master Modeler

Default Weekend Projects

Well, since the weather didn't want to cooperate with me this weekend and allow any launches-especially my Zooch Saturn V- I grabbed a couple of kits from my stash and did some building! Also, since for some reason I can't post on TRF right now(mystery) I will post my build thread here!

I hope I don't bore you all too much!

Anyways, first up is the Canadian Arrow! As I cut open the bag I realize this kit is OOP! Oh well, bag is open, gotta build it! What struck me as I pulled the parts out is just how big the nosecone and tin tub are!

Canadian Arrow parts laid out
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Master Modeler

Alrighty! First thing on my agenda after doing a parts inventory is to replace the wimpy Estes 'rubber band' shock cord with some good elastic banding! In addition to replacing it, I also doubled the length of the shock cord from the original one! Shock cord is now almost 3X the length of the rocket!

Replace shock cord!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Master Modeler

Next item up is to build the engine mount/stuffer tube..Pretty straight forward here..Discs are of pretty good quality and the die cutting was pretty good making them fairly easy to snap out of the card..Was contemplating to attach the shock cord to the motor mount ring as it DOES have a slot already there..But decided to stick with the Estes trifold mounting..Plus, to mount it at the front motor mount I would really want some kevlar line so the ejection flames wouldn't smoke it in the first flight..lol

Engine mount assembled
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Master Modeler

Nest up is cutting the fin slots out of the fin tub..This was a pretty challenging task..To keep the blade steady and not cut out too much(or too little) of the slot for the fins to go into..Turned out pretty good..Made one fin slot a bit wide, but didn't cut myself or amputate a finger, so all is good!

Fin slots in fin tub
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Master Modeler

Now the motor mount gets installed into the body tube..The fin tub is used in this step to make sure the motor mount is in the proper position..Don't want to push the mount too far in or you will have problems with putting in and removing your motor..This step you do not glue the fin tub on, it's only used to position the motor mount then removed so a fillet can be applied to the bottom centering ring..

Motor mount in
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Master Modeler

Next the fin tub gets glued on...Bead of plastic cement on the inside of the body tube and put 'er on! Align the motor hook so it is between two fin slots..

Fin tub on
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Master Modeler

Next are the fins Nice big laser cut jobs! Sanded down some and the leading edge rounded..Dry fit to ensure the tabs reach to motor mount..Glued on with wood glue at root..Allowed to dry, then a bead(fillet) of plastic glue at the fin tub/fin intersection..Rock solid fins..

Fins going on
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Master Modeler

All that is required now is to tap the supplied weight into the nose cone and install the recovery device..Nice big pre-assembled parachute..stock tri-fold shock cord mount..A snap to finish up..

Recovery device attached
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Master Modeler

Fairly easy and quick build Enjoyed building it..Will have to snoop around and see about getting another one or 3 of these kits..lol..Here she is standing tall over a portion of my rocket fleet! Easily the tallest rocket in my collection- so far

Tall and proud!

Now, off she goes to the paint shop..Will be painted stock like the bag insert..Painting is tomorrow - I think
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Master Modeler

Next up on the build was an older kit..The Estes kit #7003 SR-71 Blackbird! One of my all time favorite plane models! As a kid I think at one time I have like 10 of them! And this one sure was a challenge..Appropriately named 'challenge series' skill level 3 kit! So here we go!

Parts layout

Everything present and accounted for And of course that wimpy short shock cord is going to be replaced!

First thing done of course was to build the motor mount..same old same old...lol..Then sand and punch out the die cut balsa parts for the wings and fins..Then glueing the parts for the wings/fins together..

Wings/fins glued together
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!