Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Looking at old catalogs: https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/rockets.html

I see that this pad pad offered by AVI in (at least) 1973, then by Canaroc in (at least) 1980. The one MPC brochure on this site has the pad, but no date.

I'm truly asking - who made this pad first? Was it MPC or AVI? How did they end up sharing the design?
Hi Scott,

MPC was the originator of the Lunar-Lectric Launch Pad. It first came out circa October 1969. Earl makes note of it in his, MPC -- First Product Literature, thread: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=19644

See the following thread link for some additional history on this launch pad: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...079&postcount=6

Initially, Myron (Myke) Bergenske was involved with MPC (Model Products Corporation)/General Mills for the first release of the Lunar-Lectric Launch Pad. I have also attached the cover and foldout pages of the MPC color multi-fold Model Rocketry Catalog published circa 1970-71, depicting the MPC Lunar-Lectric Launch Pad, for reference. Next, Myke Bergenske purchased all the assets and tooling from MPC/General Mills when they decided to give up their model rocket products in 1972 and he formed Aerospace Vehicles Inc. (AVI). AVI continued until late 1978 and then folded.

Next, the Lufkin family, who started Canaroc, purchased the rights to the Lunar-Lectric Launch Pad and tooling, and they began offering it in their catalogs starting in 1978 as the Trans-a-Pad. When Canaroc folded, the Lufkin family attempted another model rocket company, Space Models, Inc. (SMI), and they already still had ownership of the Lunar-Lectric Launch Pad rights and tooling, so they produced the Lunar-Lectric Launch Pad for a time as the Trans-a-Pad, until they went out of business.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MPC Model Rocket First Release-Lunar Lectric System.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  750.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MPC_color_leaflet 1.pdf (1.31 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by Faithwalker : 09-19-2024 at 12:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Thank you for digging that up! I think I have either an AVI or SMI version of the pad in my collection - good to know the background!
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
CG to close to CP

Other than the color, and the lack of the ceramic cone, the only other difference I see in the SMI, and the MPC, is the SMI does not include the igniter spring clips on the "gantry"