Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2024, 09:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Everyone,

I am happy to report good news! Pat Fitzpatrick and the seller of the Orville-Brown original correspondence documents have been united in contact with each other today, so the seller took down his ebay listing of the documents.

There was an offer and counter-offer on the table, but after they both expired today, the seller ended the listing, especially, with the positive prospect of MoF acquisition of the artifacts. Time will tell if a mutual agreement can be reached between both parties, but things are moving the right direction for now!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Ahh! Good news! Thanks for the update.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-28-2024, 09:27 PM
Apollo Nut

As Bill commented in Post #15 about potential donations to help fund this acquisition (if such is needed), I too would be happy to toss in a C note or two to help make this happen. If you hear that MoF is having some $$$ issues with making this happen, let us know and we?ll see what all we can collectively do to help.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-28-2024, 11:11 PM
Master Modeler

Good to know, Jeff. And I would be happily in with Earl and Bill if we needed to somehow help with the acquisition.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-29-2024, 12:53 AM
I do not like Facebook

I am down on "museums" after this sad story:

https://www.geekwire.com/2024/they-...s-a-bitter-end/

Adding to that is the fact that MOF is located in a distant corner of the country many cannot easily visit.

I will not donate to the MOF for them to acquire.

It will have to be to an individual or group who would purchase and scan the documents. They can donate it to MOF afterward, I do not care, after the documents are put online.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-29-2024, 01:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I am down on "museums" after this sad story:

https://www.geekwire.com/2024/they-...s-a-bitter-end/

Adding to that is the fact that MOF is located in a distant corner of the country many cannot easily visit.

I will not donate to the MOF for them to acquire.

It will have to be to an individual or group who would purchase and scan the documents. They can donate it to MOF afterward, I do not care, after the documents are put online.

Bill

I am more than a little bummed out by what's happening to the collection in that museum....and this after never having gotten up to the city to go to the museum while it was open.

It is unlikely the MoF would ever suffer a similar fate, but I suppose it could happen. And I'm biased because I've been a member since they were in a loft in a building at the Pacific Science Center and it takes me a half hour to get there most days.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-29-2024, 01:17 AM
I do not like Facebook

Now if Estes was to show an interest in preserving the documents, I would throw them a couple of C notes and maybe place a large order while I was at it...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 09-01-2024, 08:18 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Back around 2008, I called and spoke with Orville Carlisle's Brother, Roberts wife.
At that time she told me that OC's fantastic Pyrotechnica collection was rotting away in her basement. She asked me if I knew anybody who might be interested in the collection and all I could offer were some of the national pyro organizations. I don't know if they were ever contacted or not. I called a few years later, and she had passed away.

Hopefully this collection will be made available online somewhere sooner than later.