View Single Post
Old 05-23-2024, 03:10 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Clarification Jeffy: Are you saying to extend all three 24mm tubes INSIDE the BT-80 stuffer tube into the parachute compartment? In other words, lengthen the three motor tubes so that they run the full length of the BT-80?

If so, my recommendation would be to still run those three the full length of the BT-80 to provide some extra burn through protection to the BT-80 stuffer tube from those three ejection charges giong off, especially if the model winds up getting flown a number of times.

It is not super-critical to do that, but at the very least what I do with cluster core tubes like that (for example, the ST-16 core tube on the Centuri Saturn V) is smear a healthy dose of epoxy INSIDE that tube just ahead of where the cluster mount will be for a few inches forward to provide some flame and heat protection to the inside of the stuffer tube from repeated triple ejection charges going off in that area. I have even done an OUTSIDE paper wrap to the core tube in that same area to provide additional burn-through protection to the core tube.

Nothing worse than having a burn through INSIDE the model to the core tube after numerous flights from all those ejection charges going off.

Earl

Yes, I think I?ll extend all 3 engine mount tubes all the way up to the parachute compartment. I?ll treat the engine mount tubes inside and out, and I may even wrap the ODs of the engine mount tubes with aluminum exhaust tape. A NOMEX fire blanket in the laundry room might be a good idea also.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078