View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Default Regulatory changes over time

I contacted NAR President Pat Miller to recommend and suggest the MR mass limit be increased to allow for evolving photography and electronics payloads even within the current motor and propellant limits. Remember the then 113g propellant mass limits allowed a cluster of three APCP F motors. To say I contacted him does not do it justice. We had extensive two way correspondence on the matter and my advocating for the retained safety with the proposed changes. I also suggested making the mass limit 125g to allow for two 62.5g motors, the then DOT shipping limit for Class C (1.4). I actually suggested a 5 pound mass limit since increased mass rockets are actually safer due to lower performance. He appointed Trip Barber to do a report on the subject called the Blue Ribbon Commission. I attended NARAM PA that year and showed Trip a couple of MRT (MPR) rockets I brought with me. He took measurements of the airframes and inspected the motors and documented them in his report. So that report has U.S. Rockets kits in it. Once that report showed the increased safety from an increased mass limit, NAR got behind it for MRSC and NFPA. Later FAA also conformed to the new national standard of 125g/1500g. That's where we are today.

From Flyrockets.com :

==

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulates air space which effects most rocketry activities. Model Rockets enjoy relief from FAA regulations via Federal Aviation Regulations Part 101; see FAR101 at www.access.gpo.gov

Rockets weighing less than one pound and flying on less than 4 ounces of propellant, FAR 101 rockets, do not require notification of the FAA. Large Model Rockets, weighing between 1 and 3.3 lbs and flying on not more than 4.4 ounces of propellant, while not requiring a waiver from the FAA, require a phone call to the nearest FAA tower or airport for notification of the planned activity.

Waivers from the FAA are required to fly High Power Rockets weighing more than 3.3lbs and/or flying on greater than 4.4 ounces of propellant. While anyone may apply to the FAA for a waiver, this process is normally handled by a rocketry club officer, often the Launch Director. When granting waivers, the FAA reviews the normal use of the airspace for which a waiver has been requested to determine the feasibility of rerouting airplanes while launches are being held. Waivers to high altitudes are most readily granted for airspace that is not heavily used therefore, launch sites with high waivers are often many miles from large cities and airline traffic patterns. Waivers are granted in MSL or altitude above mean sea level. Waivers are often referred to in AGL, above ground level, a figure determined by subtracting the elevation of the launch site from the MSL altitude. For more information on the FAA see www.faa.gov.

==

It would be practical for lower end HPR, say up to 1250g propellant and no mass limit since more mass is less performance, to achieve this proven notification treatment and eliminate waivers for mid-range HPR. There have been no airspace incursions associated with HPR. Notification was used for MPR while FAA was considering including it in its entirety as Class 1. In a future iteration Class 1 could be expanded to include up to 1250g and no mass limit.

Lone Ranger HPR, here we come!

Reg Changer Jerry