Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The solar power Nazis. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=22359)

jeffyjeep 07-03-2024 11:05 PM

The solar power Nazis.

I don?t know about you, but the Solar Power Nazis knock on my door at least twice a week despite the NO SOLICITORS sign on my door. Today I tried a new tactic:

Saleskid: Hello, I represent SunRun Solar.

Me: Hello, I don?t need solar power. I?m already off the grid.

Saleskid: With what?

Me: I have a reactor, a steam generator, and a turbine generator in my garage.

Saleskid: Really?

Me: Really.

Saleskid: I don?t believe you.

Me: I don?t care, but it?s true.

Saleskid: Can I see it?

Me: Only if you?re wearing a dosimeter. Are you wearing a dosimeter?

Saleskid: What is a dosimeter?

Me: If you don?t know what a dosimeter is, then I?ll assume you?re not wearing one.

Saleskid: Where did you get a reactor?

Me: After the Soviet Union broke up I bought a surplus 55KW Borashlovkovsky reactor for next to nothing. It came with a 25 year core. I refueled it in 2015, so we?re good for a while.

Saleskid: You?re making this up.

Me: No I?m not. Now, do you have a peddler?s license from the City of Aurora?

Saleskid: No.

Me: Scram.

ghrocketman 07-04-2024 05:37 AM

I would have been far less nice than you with the clown.
Somebody would have been RIDING THE BOOT almost immediately.

mycrofte 07-04-2024 06:41 AM

Our neighbors installed solar panels. There is no battery for power outage. It just helps feed the grid and lower their monthly bill.
___

jeffyjeep 07-04-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I would have been far less nice than you with the clown.
Somebody would have been RIDING THE BOOT almost immediately.

I know. I should have given him the Bum?s Rush, but I wanted to have some fun with him first.

My NEXT white lie: geothermal.

astronwolf 07-04-2024 09:27 AM

I usually just ask if they have a solicitor's permit. I'll have to try that one for the solar guys. Lately it's been Verizon resellers.

Earl 07-04-2024 02:03 PM

I did a similar thing with home exterior cameras/security system sales dudes a couple months ago while I was in the front yard washing the car. These are typically early 20s kids with pretty much the same setup and sales delivery pitch from company to company.

While I was not quite as inventive with my 'systems' as jeffy was, I did tell them I already had a bank of cameras installed (I don't) and that we all were being recorded from three different angles as we stood there. I then told them "You don't see the cameras, do you?" They looked and looked and said no. I said good; that is what I was shooting for.

I thanked them and they walked away, looking back over their shoulders several times as they tried and tried to see where the (non existent) cameras were.

Earl

LeeR 07-04-2024 03:55 PM

I had a pest control solicitor yesterday. He rang the bell, I saw he had an iPad or similar, and decided I would not answer. He finally went away. About 15 minutes later I was out front doing some yard work, and here comes the guy back into our cul-de-sac. He was riding a Segway. (Pretty fast, he was at our house before I could back inside!)

He yells out a greeting, so I decided I would be cordial, and say hello. He starts rattling off that he is helping others people in the neighborhood. I stop him and ask him what he was selling, and I still get the evasive dialog. He asks if I know Susie in the house behind us. Yes, I reply, she moved out. So, what are you selling?

He replies Preventative Insect Treatment.

Me: Not interested. Whatever insects we might have get eaten by the birds. So we do not have a problem.

Bug Guy: This is a preventive treatment program.

Me: I just told you I do not have a problem, so no need to treat a non-existent problem.

BugGuy: I will . . . (I cut him off.)

Me: I am going in now. Best of luck. Bye.

In the past I might have told someone to get lost. But you never know now. They might come back later to do some damage to your house to get back at you. I also no longer leave cars in the driveway. They are always garaged.
I take this approach because we raised two girls. Pranks and vandalism were an issue when they were teenagers, from guys they told to take a hike. :-)

jeffyjeep 07-04-2024 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I had a pest control solicitor yesterday. He rang the bell, I saw he had an iPad or similar, and decided I would not answer. He finally went away. About 15 minutes later I was out front doing some yard work, and here comes the guy back into our coil-de-sac. He was riding a Segway. (Pretty fast, he was at our house before I could back inside!)

He yells out a greeting, so I decided Iwould be cordial, and say hello. He starts rattling off that he is helping others people in the neighborhood. I stop him and ask him what he was selling, and I still get the evasive dialog. He asks if I know Susie in the house behind us. Yes, I reply, she moved out. So, what are you selling?

He replies Preventative Insect Treatment.

Me: Not interested. Whatever insects we might have get eaten by the birds. So we do not have a problem.

Bug Guy: This is a preventive treatment program.

Me: I just told you I do not have a problem, so no need to treat a non-existent problem.

BugGuy: I will . . . (I cut him off.)

Me: I am going in now. Best of luck. Bye.

In the past I might have told someone to get lost. But you never know now. They might come back later to do some damage to your house to get back at you. I also no longer leave cars in the driveway. They are always garaged.
I take this approach because we raised two girls. Pranks and vandalism were an issue when they were teenagers, from guys they told to take a hike. :-)

Yeah, I get the Bugs Guys also. I always ask them if their treatment also repels salesmen.

BEC 07-04-2024 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Yeah, I get the Bugs Guys also. I always ask them if their treatment also repels salesmen.

I love that idea! I will have to use that the next time one comes by. It seems to be a frequent problem around here these days.

We haven't had people peddling solar door to door for several years now. I wish my house/yard were better suited than they are for a solar installation (including storage) as that's something I wish I could do...

jeffyjeep 07-05-2024 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I love that idea! I will have to use that the next time one comes by. It seems to be a frequent problem around here these days.

We haven't had people peddling solar door to door for several years now. I wish my house/yard were better suited than they are for a solar installation (including storage) as that's something I wish I could do...

I?m all for renewables and alternates also, but if I ever decide to take the plunge (which I won?t at my age) I?ll FREAKING CALL SOMEBODY!