Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Gemini Titan question. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=22205)

jeffyjeep 03-20-2024 03:22 PM

Gemini Titan question.

1 Attachment(s)
OK, it's dumb question time:

Does the vertical UNITED STATES go on both side of the model, or just one side--to the right of the conduit?

ROTW doesn't quite say.

Thanks!

ghrocketman 03-20-2024 04:24 PM

I assume both sides as the decal set includes 2 decals.

rocketguy101 03-20-2024 04:32 PM

According to the David Week's drawings (available here) , both sides

EDIT: here are two views of Gemini 7 and it appears "United States" appears on two sides. The links are to flikr.

s65-61650
s65-61628

jeffyjeep 03-21-2024 05:11 AM

Thanks for the help. I was pretty sure it was both sides but I just wanted to be sure. The model in the post #1 photo is a scratch build from parts I?ve had lying around for years: PNC from Sirius, clear fin unit from a Beta Launch Vehicle kit, and decals from Sandman.

jeffyjeep 03-21-2024 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I thought I was finished needing help with this, but I just did a close inspection of the vintage clear fin unit from the Beta Launch Vehicle kit and one of the fins is warped.

I would like to straighten it without breaking it. What do you think--heat gun and braces? I'm not sure if it's just regular styrene or not. It seems to be VERY flexible.

Thanks!

ghrocketman 03-21-2024 10:17 AM

That plastic unit was used first in the Estes Titan II Missile kit along with the MX Missile and the later BT-60 based Gemini Titan kit.
That clear plastic is very brittle and breaks easily on landings. The color (black) molded ones from later Estes usages are far more durable. I wouldn't fly the clear fins. If you insist on flying those fins, upgrade to a 24" chute.
You may be able to straighten the warp with careful use of a heat gun.

kevinj 03-21-2024 10:17 AM

I would try a dip in hot water before a heat gun to avoid over heating a specific spot. I did the same thing for a set of R2D2 fins once.

kj

Bill 03-21-2024 11:08 AM

I wonder whether there is a solution to 3-D print a fin unit in a more flexible material.

Bill

Blushingmule 03-21-2024 07:49 PM

Clear styrene..

Hi all,

Clear styrene is notoriously brittle; I'd say a dip
in hot water may be the best way to go.

Bob
p.s.Jeff, lovely model as usual!

Andy63 03-21-2024 08:20 PM

I've used a variable temp heat gun on an Alpha III with bent fins. I started on the lowest setting gradually working the temp up until the fins became plyable. I also noticed that aplying heat to the inward side of the curve would promote the fin twords a straighter postion. I also would over-correct it because upon cooling it would tend back to a curved state, albeit lessened. You just have to keep working it.