Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MR rudder question (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=22115)

jeffyjeep 01-24-2024 08:29 AM

MR rudder question

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on the Boyce 1/17.5 scale Mercury Redstone. My question is about the rudders. Is each rudder supposed to have the little round protrusion that I'm pointing to or was it just an anomally of the 3D printing process? I've looked at the photos I took of the MR at the Kansas Cosmosphere several years ago and it does not have them--but then I'm not sure the MR at the Kansas Cosmosphere is an actual round.

Thanks!

Bill 01-24-2024 08:48 AM

I do not remember seeing that at the Alabama Space and Rocket Center. But a web search for redstone rudder shows it in some pictures.

Bill

ghrocketman 01-24-2024 12:25 PM

I don't recall ever seeing those on the "rudders".

I seem to recall a Redstone flight that had a total loss of all Rudder control.
How do we know those ARE rudders and not ailerons or elevators?

Earl 01-24-2024 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two images from the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville (off a web page...not my photos). One image is from a Redstone balastic missile display, the other as a Mercury Redstone display.

That raised circle on your model appears to be modeling what appears to be the pivot pin for the control vane.

Earl

tbzep 01-24-2024 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is the pivot point of the rudders. I have a pic somewhere that shows the gap between them and the main fin and you can see the shaft.

Edit to add pic. This isn't the best pic. It's just from a quick shot I made when I took my daughter to Huntsville a few years ago. I seem to have misplaced my files with details of the MR. Still, you can see the gap on the fin to the right, and you can see the shaft and its entry point through the plate on the fin closest to the camera.

jeffyjeep 01-24-2024 03:29 PM

Yes, I can see the black cap on the black rudder pivot point in that photo. I think what I?ll end up doing is either reducing the prominence of the detail from the 3D printed rudder or scarfing it off completely.

Thanks for the help guys.

Earl 01-24-2024 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Yes, I can see the black cap on the black rudder pivot point in that photo. I think what I?ll end up doing is either reducing the prominence of the detail from the 3D printed rudder or scarfing it off completely.

Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, it looks like it is modeled in the correct spot, but possibly just a bit more prominent than it needs to be. Shave it down to about half that height and it would probably be just about right.

Earl

jeffyjeep 01-24-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, it looks like it is modeled in the correct spot, but possibly just a bit more prominent than it needs to be. Shave it down to about half that height and it would probably be just about right.

Earl

I agree.