Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2024, 02:33 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
...They were ALL applied at Centuri...
Earl

Here's an excerpt from Centuri's American Rocketeer vol. 4 no. 1 that has a great feature on the Centuri Super Scale Kits, including the Little Joe II kits. The article points out on page 3 (I highlighted the text) that, "the 1/45 scale kit rocket body is furnished with the corrugation and paint pattern already applied."

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_American_Rocketeer_vol_4_no_1_p1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  982.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_American_Rocketeer_vol_4_no_1_p2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  1.09 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_American_Rocketeer_vol_4_no_1_p3.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  1.01 MB  
Old 02-08-2024, 02:39 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Here's an excerpt from Centuri's American Rocketeer vol. 4 no. 1 that has a great feature on the Centuri Super Scale Kits, including the Little Joe II kits. The article points out on page 3 (I highlighted the text) that, "the 1/45 scale kit rocket body is furnished with the corrugation and paint pattern already applied."

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

For those interested, here are the additional pages of the featured article and an additional featured article on the Centuri Little Joe II being presented to the Director of the Aerospace Museum of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Centuri_American_Rocketeer_vol_4_no_1_p4.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  1.19 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri_American_Rocketeer_vol_4_no_1_p5.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  1.07 MB  
Old 02-08-2024, 02:51 PM
Craftsman

The Centuri 1969 catalog has a pretty nice spread on the two Centuri Apollo Little Joe II kits, 1/45th scale KS-8 and 1/100th scale KS-9, that they offered at that time: https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/n...a/69cenp14.html

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  69cenp14.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  147.4 KB  
Old 02-08-2024, 02:53 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Earl! That is good information! This 1/45th scale Centuri Little Joe II KS-8 kit is one of my favorites as well! It is an extremely nice kit and well engineered. With all the engineering that went into the kit, it is hard to believe that it sold for just $12.95 when it was introduced and made available on June 15, 1968 (see pages 1 and 8 of Centuri's American Rocketeer vol. 3, no. 1): https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/pubs...eer_vol3no1.pdf . Centuri also sold them for $12.95 when they were closing the kits out in 1977: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...mmercenRT4.html . Sure would be nice to be able to buy them for that today!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

To put that into perspective, at the time $12.95 was huge money for a rocket kit and more than the retail price of any kit from Estes (Estes Saturn V and Saturn 1B kits were less than $10 at that time.)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
To put that into perspective, at the time $12.95 was huge money for a rocket kit and more than the retail price of any kit from Estes (Estes Saturn V and Saturn 1B kits were less than $10 at that time.)

Yes, I recall as a kid and getting my first rocket catalog, the 1971 Centuri catalog in very late 1970. Some kits were reasonably priced, but I recall thinking those Saturns and MiniMax kits that went well about $10 were very, very expensive! Nothing I could afford, I knew that.

I recall distinctly that my best friend and I had our eyes on the Lil Herc, as it was only 75 cents! But yes, at the time, a kit in the $2-$3 range would have been about all I could have handled.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-08-2024, 03:58 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I didn't buy a Centuri Little Joe II kit when they were first offered as I was putting funds into competition flying. In the late 1970's they closed out a lot of kits and products and so I bought a LJII kit.
As noted above, they came with the main body wrap pre-installed. My kit had the wrap misinstalled with almost an 1/8" gap at the bottom of one side of the wrap. I have never built the the kit, but it is one of the "gems' of my collection. Loved Centuri kits.

Chas
Old 02-08-2024, 04:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

I remember a yellow sheet that came with either a Centuri or Estes order back in the latter 70's where the NAR was selling the discontinued LJII and several other things at a good discount to raise money for team USA to compete. It was the first time I'd seen the kit because I didn't get a Centuri catalog until after it was discontinued in 77. I discovered Estes a few years earlier. I still have the sheet somewhere, but I couldn't find it last time I looked. Maybe one of these days I'll get the energy to completely go through and organize all my stuff and find it.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I remember a yellow sheet that came with either a Centuri or Estes order back in the latter 70's where the NAR was selling the discontinued LJII and several other things at a good discount to raise money for team USA to compete. It was the first time I'd seen the kit because I didn't get a Centuri catalog until after it was discontinued in 77. I discovered Estes a few years earlier. I still have the sheet somewhere, but I couldn't find it last time I looked. Maybe one of these days I'll get the energy to completely go through and organize all my stuff and find it.

If I had to guess it was probably for the 1978 internats team. At least I recall a flyer of items both the 1978 and 1980 teams that had, as you describe, a variety of OOP kits, collectible items, etc for sale to raise funds. Centuri did a fair amount of work to help support those teams as I recall. I think one year they designed the team patch also, maybe 1980.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-08-2024, 05:23 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer

P.S.-

Just checked an inflation adjustment website that says that $12.95 in 1968 is the same as $114.15 today! Ouch!!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-08-2024, 07:03 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
The Centuri 1969 catalog has a pretty nice spread on the two Centuri Apollo Little Joe II kits, 1/45th scale KS-8 and 1/100th scale KS-9, that they offered at that time: https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/n...a/69cenp14.html

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

While the 1971 catalog has a special place in my heart since it was my first catalog, the 1972 full color catalog was probably about the nicest looking catalog Centuri (or anyone for that matter) ever did. Nice, clean real photos of most models and good closeups of some of the details too.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0498.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  131.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0499.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  131.7 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions